WHOSYERDAD-E Who's Your Daddy?
Wikigenealogy
Start your own
Family
Tree / Add a
GEDCOM file:

William Thomas AdeyAge: 8018441925

Name
William Thomas Adey
Surname
Adey
Given names
William Thomas
Name prefix
Rev.
Family with parents - View family
father
mother
 
Marriage: 1835
1 year
elder brother
4 years
elder brother
5 years
elder sister
Mary Esther Adey
Birth: 1842 42 34Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, England
Death: 1845Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, England
3 years
Family with Sarahanne Prior - View family
wife
 
Marriage: 1868Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, England
2 years
daughter
3 years
daughter
2 years
son
3 years
son
4 years
son
2 years
daughter
14 months
son
Percy Linnell Adey
Birth: 25 February 1879 34 34Scarborough, North Yorkshire, England
Death: 19 November 1966City of Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California, USA
22 months
daughter
Mountain View Cemetery, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.Elsie Adey
Birth: 1880 35 35Scarborough, North Yorkshire, England
Death: 28 November 1968Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Note
William Thomas became a Christian in early youth, he was baptisted by his father and devoted himself to Sunday School work and evangelistic labours in the surrounding hamlets. The 1851 census shows William a 5 year old scholar living at his parents home North East Leck Street, Leighton Buzzard. Family tradition says that he trained as either a printers apprentice or a painters apprentice before attending Regents Park Baptist College from 1862 to 1866. His ministry began at Darlington 1866 where for 4 years he was co pastor with the Rev Peter Grant. In 1870 we was invited to Burley Road, Leeds where he found a Mission Hall which he converted to a church. He was instrumental in building the next church there and he remained at Burley Road for 9 years. In 1873 William Thomas preached a sermon drawing attention to the so called coffin ships. The sermon was attended by Samuel Plimsoll MP who then invented the Plimsoll Line which was instigated by The Merchant Shipping Act in 1876. He was called to Albermarle Chapel Scarborough 1879 and he remained there for 5 years. He was living at Alfred Villa, Falsgrave, York at time of 1881 census with his wife 6 children, niece and 1 servant. Whilst William was in Scarborough Adey's Popular Guide to Scarborough was compiled, presumably produced by him. The British Library has a copy of the fourth yearly issue 1887-88, the publishers were Alexander & Shepheard, London and E C Sampson, York. While William Thomas was at Scarborough C H Spurgeon was minister at what is now the Metropolitan Tabernacle in London. His preaching was so popular that large halls were hired and crowds as large as 10,000 attended. His sermons could still be found on the internet in 2005, included in the archives of The Sword and the Trowel Magazine, and one refers to one telegram and one letter received from William Thomas. The telegram which is from Mr Mesquitta and Mr Adey reads "Glorious time yesterday. Chapels full. Albert Hall overflowing. Three thousand at circus." The letter reads "We expect today to have to shift our quarters to more commodious premises for the noon meetings, at which we have had every day 500 of the best Christians in Scarborough, drawn from the ranks of the Society of Friends, and the Evangelical churches, as well as from our Nonconformist places. We have had to alter our advertisements, to burn our handbills, to run short of books, to cover our posters, and, finally, to engage the large circus for nearly all our meetings, with the certainty of its being vastly too small for us God has given us a very rich blessing. The thing is growing. An excellent spirit pervades the town just now. The season is over: people are more at liberty, and everything seems to fit in a providential manner. We love the men very much, and are the joyful witnesses of their faithful testimony. Fullerton fastens with an iron grasp on primary truths, and makes them fall like axes at the roots of the trees. There is great variety in his subjects, as well as methods. A sermon of his on 'Regeneration', delivered apparently without over-strained effort, could hardly have been excelled by Jonathan Edwards for the awful sense of solemn need produced in the first half of the discourse, or for the sweet relief which came to us when he led us to the serpent uplifted in the latter part of his most textual exposition. I am wearying you, but I must in justice to Mr Smith say that his pathos and simplicity, together with his gifts of music and song, seem to complete the equipment - well, of this apostolic pair of preachers. I begin to wish that we all went in twos, for these preachers preach to each other. They are not eremites like us, but brethren. - Yours most truly, Wm Thos Adey." Scarborough Circus was a large, newly built theatre in Scarborough. In 1884 he moved to the heart of East London as minister at Commercial Street, Whitechapel where he held services at 11am and 8.30pm. According to the Daily News, which regularly listed "Preachers for To-morrow" he sometimes preached at the East London Tabernacle, Burdett Road. Assuming that he produced Adey's Popular Guide to Scarborough his address at this time was 15 Victoria Park Road, London E. In 1887 he moved to Haven Green, Ealing and then in 1893 to Kingsbridge, Devon where he stayed until his retirement in 1908. On Sunday 16th april 1899 as part of the Centenary services William delivered an address "The Story of The Past" and on the evening of Tuesday 18th April he read a detailed history pf the Church from 1640 - 1899. This reading was later published by the Deacons and an updated version was produced in 1940 with additions by Rev L J Stones. In 1889 The Albion Reciters Sunday School Readings, Recitations and Dialogues was published by Frederick Warne & Co, this book was edited by Rev Wm Thomas Adey of Haven Green, Ealing and it includes several pieces of his work. The preface mentions Robert Raikes and Rev John Adey. At the time of the 1891 census William was lving at 49 Mount Park road, Ealing with his wife Sarahanne, his daughters Ellen Eliza, Jessie and Elsie and his sons William and Francis. The family had one domestic servant 19 year old Kate Trelawney from Cranford, Middlesex. Ecclesiastical Intelligence in The Times for November 6th 1893 announced his appointment as minister of Kingsbridge Church, Devon. According to a statement by The Baptist Union at this time William was one of 1,473 Baptist Ministers in the UK and one of 30,546 Baptist Ministers in Europe, Asia, Africa, America and Australia. The British Library has a copy of a 36 page book Adey's Abbey Guide - Brief history of Kirkstall Abbey from its foundation to its dissolution, published in 1897 by J W Bean & son of Leeds which was almost certainly written by William Thomas. At the time of the 1901 census we was visiting the home of Benjamin William Hayman (aged 62) a general draper shop keeper at 42 High Street, Totnes, Devon. His home address was The Quay, Leighton House, Kingsbridge, Totnes. According to family tradition William was a hymmwriter, naturalist and a bee keeper. He visited factories and public houses and discovered a cure for Isle of Wight bee disease The British Library has a copy of a book written by him in 1903 "All about Kingsbridge & Salcombe. A new and practical illustrated guide". Copies of this book can also be found in the Devon County Council Archives, and in the Museum of English Rural Life (University of Reading) amongst a bundle of papers from Edward Arthur Elliot (Clergyman) 1890 - 1959. In 1889 Frederick Warne & Co published "Sunday School Readings, Recitations and Dialogues" edited by the Rev Wm Thomas Adey of Haven Green, Ealing. On 13th September 1904 his mothers bible was seized by officers of the law to satisfy a claim under the Education Act which William refused to pay on consientious grounds. His hand written note in the bible states that he believed the demand to be a revival of the old Church Rate under another name. He felt that it was an attempt to bring again the country under the dominion of priestcraft by capturing the children of protestants and nonconformists and exposing them to sacerdotal influence in the schools of the nation. William signed the note in the bible as president of the Local Citizens League. His address at this time was Leighton House, Kingsbridge, Devon. He was called out of retirement to be Honorary Pastor at Prewett Street, Bristol 1913-1921. According to a 1902 Ordnance Survey Map and Wrights Street Directory Prewett Street Baptist Church was on the left side of the street coming from St Mary Redcliffe Church with a builders yard on one side and a chemical manure manufacturer on the other. It was faced by two pubs and a shop. Services were held on Sundays at 11.00am and 6.30pm and on Thursdays at 7.30pm. In 1921 he retired again to Lympstone, Devonshire where the "home-call" came on 5th December 1925. His obituary in the 1927 Baptist Handbook states that he was a preacher of considerable power and always took a leading part in Association work. He retained into his old age his student habits and his keen interest in literature and social movements.


Use the following to search all databases on this site:
(the search tool above applies to the current database only)


If you find this site useful and you'd like to contribute towards our
development and hosting costs, please feel free to make a donation:



Copyright 2006-2017 WHOSYERDAD-E